Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Denyse Schmidt fabric quilt using sizzix 2 1/4 inch hexagons...

Hello, I decided to make my children a family heirloom of a quilt each, this is the first quilt I have ever made and thought I would share it with you.


For this english paper piece quilt I used sizzix 2 1/4 inch hexagon die to cut out about 400 pieces of card. I cut the fabric into squares bigger than the hexagon as I didn't have a bigger hexagon die. I loosely tacked the fabric to the hexagons and ironed them all. (you don't have to iron them but I found they kepted their shape better for sewing) I then arranged them into different colour flowers and hand stitching them together.


For the edge of the underside of the quilt I followed badskirts tutorial.


I machine stitched the quilt sandwich using my brother sewing machine with a roller foot.



One down, two to go!!



links to some of the products I used...





Tuesday, 11 August 2015

Karen Burniston august design team challenge

hello all and welcome to August!.I can not believe hbow quickly this year is zooming by.

This month Karen challenged us to make a card inspired by another design team member. This was such a tough choice as every one of the team members are so talented. I was scrolling through everyones blog post when I saw Karens  exploding minion card tutorial and knew that was the one for me.

I made this card for my dad who love minions and can offically retired this year at the tender age of 65. I followed Karens tutorial for this minion, you can find the tutorial here. 
I also added hair to this minion using whiskers from Karens cat die set and use the chilly the penguins feet as hands.


I experimented with different dies from the Elizabeth craft range for the minion inside the card and found that the spot dies from the rubber ducky fit perfectly as eyes. The minions feet were made by die cutting black cardstock from the spade in the wheelbarrow set and snipping the pole and handle off.


I followed Karens instructions for the inside of my exploding card and used a strip of acetate sheet to suspend the balloon for the props 2 set so that when the card is open the balloon looks like it is floating.
please don't forget to check in on all the other fab designers to see their wonderful creations, thanks for reading.


links to some of the items I used...