Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Hexagon quilt chair cushion...

You may have noticed in my blog header that it has a hexagon quilted chair cushion. Thanks to the tricks of modern photography although it looked like it, I hadn't actually finished it until this week. As I've never quilted before I simply didn't know how to finish it and make it look like a fairly reasonable attempt. I received a quilting book from a friend recently and thought I'd flick through to see if there were any tips. Yay, success there was, so armed with said book and my trusty old sewing machine I set to work.
I cut card using the 1 1/4 inch hexagon sizzix die. Each hexagon is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. I then hand tacked squares of material around each hexagon, before hand sewing each hexagon in place.
Next I laid the completed hexagon layer on top of wadding which was on top a sheet of spotty cotton. I pinned all three layers together.
It was a little fiddly but the next step was to cut the wadding to the shape of the hexagon layer.
My next step was to sew around the edge of hexagon layer and attach all three layers together.
Because I wanted it to be a little thicker I then layered the cushion with another layer of wadding and more spotty cotton. I arranged the spotty cotton layers right sides facing and pinned them in place before sewing around the edge of the hexagons (see no11). I left an unsewn 10 to 15 centimetre gap to turn the cushion the right way out.

The final part which took the longest was to sew around the individual hexagons.

No comments:

Post a Comment